October 5, 2011

Chose My Loves, and I Love My Choices

What a great week it has been!  For some reason Dak has been the happiest, easy going baby.  He's been so smiley, so playful.  Its been a huge blessing.

I have some ideas of how it came about and I think all of them have contributed. First is that it's definitely a blessing from Heavenly Father.  Second, he finally started sleeping through the night again.  We started fixing it with me only feeding him once a night, and sending Kyle in when he cried and usually he'd go right back to sleep.  Then slowly we only sent Kyle in.  Eventually, he just slept through the night.  And oh man...it's wonderful.  He has much more energy through the day, and so do I.  Third, Dak is taking three 2-hour naps.  Lastly, he's getting a little more capable and independent so things are easier for him.  I already loved him tons, but this week he has definitely stolen more of my heart.  Smiles, giggles, and cute drooling everywhere.

Example of the amazingness: I took the car in for an oil change.  The wait was a while, and since it's our only car I did that...waited.  Dexter the whole 1 hour and 15 minutes we were there he did not cry.  He sat on my lap and played with two toys.  He was smiling and the old guy across from us kept remarking at how amazing he was being.  It was amazing me, and I was so thankful for it.
Sometimes when he plays his little feet curl up.

Well, I learned how to can. Saturday during conference I peeled, cut, cored, soaked and canned a whole bunch of pears.  I did one batch which was 7 quarts.

My kitchen, picture minimizing the disaster that it was
My guys about to watch conference
Saturday and Sunday was also conference.  Although having a little kid made it a little hard to hear everything, listening to our prophet, apostles, and other leaders of our church speak was amazing.  All the testimonies of Christ made it powerful.  There were a few that were just so amazing (I'm bad at recollecting though) and touched me.  They made me want to change and do better.  It also reminded me of a quote from Sis. Beck from a different conference, that I had looked at a couple weeks ago.  She talked about the essentials, the need to's, and the nice-to-do's.  Its made me try and re-prioritize some of my activities. ("Prioritizing Our Lives" link) I think this has also made me look at motherhood better and helped with the awesome week, along with those other helpers mentioned above.
Feeding him, his foot stayed like that the whole time.  Weird kid.

His hat for his costume.

Looks like a detective, or Indiana Jones, or just a cute baby in a hat.

Drooling

I know its blurry, but you can see how happy he was.  

My own pictures with him
 Kyle is still just busy with school and homework.  He helped a lot this weekend, but is trying to catch up this week.  I loved the help, but I did feel a little guilty that he is behind cause of it.  All his classes have large projects, and some tests.  But he is doing great, and is being a great dad too.

Oh I forgot to mention a few posts back, but Dexter eats solid foods.  Well he's at least eating rice cereal now.  Some days he gobbles it, other days he takes a long time and encouragement to get it down.
Spoons are fun to play with

First bite...hmmm

Dad's turn

Still unsure and very serious about the food
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yesterday was Kyle and I's 5 year anniversary for when we started "dating."  Like exclusively.  I've never written about it, and as time progresses I'm sure things will be forgotten.  We don't celebrate this date or any other milestones, but I randomly thought of it the other day.  So I'll take the rest and journal about how it started and through it.  It'll be long because it took a while for us to start dating, and then we dated for almost 2 years.

Kyle and I met at the institute.  He had a class with one of my friends from the ward, Caryn (she'd later become my roommate).  There was a group of us "teeners" from my singles ward and we slowly added in more friends.  That's how Kyle became part of our group.  I liked him (a lot) when I first met him.  He says he liked me too from that first meeting.  We became friends and hung out as a large group a lot.  Me and my roommates would host Monday Night Dinners for our friends.  They were real fun and lasted forever.  Kyle eventually joined our singles ward (it was a student ward and the boundaries were huge).  I joined Institute Choir and played on the LDSSA Volleyall team (amazingly so was Kyle).  We took Ballroom Dancing as a large group of friends, and later Fencing too.  So between school/institute, church, and friend shin digs we saw a fair amount of each other.  We used to chat on AIM, and I was always so giddy when he'd say hi on it.  We both hate talking on the phone so this was the easiest.  He invited me to learn to play tennis...our first unofficial date.

Our first real date was a blind setup.  I had a good friend who also really liked Kyle.  It had now been like a year since I met him.  He hadn't shown any interest so we both agreed each other could try for him.  He had asked her, Carleen, on a double date with Carleen's brother and Kyle's sister, Audrey, being the other set.  Carleen suddenly couldn't make it so she told Kyle she'd get a blind date for him.  So she set me up as the blind.  When he saw where on the map it was, he thought it might be me.  I lived on the outskirts of Vegas.  So he wasn't surprised when he picked me up.  Our date was eating at Macaroni Grill and then going to watch "RV" in the movies.

Second/Third Date (since I can't remember which one was first).  One of them was a double with Kyle's brother, Trevor, to GameWorks.  That was a ton of fun since we're nerds and love video games.  The other date was doing something and then watching Monster House (the kid animated one), and just us.
Then school started up.  We both had a long time between our last class and Institute Choir (which I joined up because of him, and roommates were in it).  So after class I'd wait for him to show up, then slowly bring up that I hadn't gotten dinner yet.  This went for a few weeks that we'd both go and get dinner together.  Kyle always paid too, so they were kind of dates.

It was at one of these dates, that we had a DTR.  Define the Relationship.  We both were happy and nervous.  We'd never dated anyone else, and we're awkward at things.  Like holding hands was kind of weird.  Actually we never told anyone about us being exclusive until that Sunday (our DTR was Wednesday) because someone had kind of asked me to hang out...and I didn't know if it was a date or what.  But that never happened.

So that's the anniversary.  October 4th was the date we've chosen to remember.  We dated for 20 months.  We weren't the type that hung out everyday, talked to each other every day, or things like that.  He'd go on vacations and spend holidays with his family, he went for a week for a school leadership trip, I spent vacations and holidays with my family.

Some of our memorable dates are kite flying.  We actually did this a bit, and I always lost a kite.  That's why he's wary whenever I hold a precious kite of his.

We'd watch a lot of movies, and hang out at my apartment.  We went to the pinball museum.  Church activities.  FHE's.  We took a summer school class together, Ethics in Engineering.  Afterwards we'd go to my apartment read our books and do homework, then watch Jeopardy.  We were called the old married couple.  We actually would have dates together where he'd sit at the table doing homework, and I'd sit on the couch doing homework.  Romantic, no?  We did some sports like volleyball and oozeball for LDSSA.  We played tennis at my complex.  Ice blocking.  Movies.  Eat out a lot, until we became poorish.
I also remember pegging him in the head a lot.  We'd be playing some sort of sport and I'd toss the ball.  I'm pretty bad at throwing.  It'd always end up hitting him, and I seriously did not do it on purpose.  It happened at 4-square, volleyball, oozeball, at the park, playing tennis, and many other places.

After a few months of us dating I was questioned by others a lot about when were getting married.  I'm not the one who's supposed to propose were always my thoughts.  Did they ever ask him...nope!  That part I definitely did not like, for the 15 months I endured those questions.  Sometimes like 8 times a day I'd get ask...not kidding.

Well, that's it and all from my point of view of course.  He probably has slightly different views on things.
I did wait for him and chased him a bit, and he's definitely been worth it.   I chose my love, and I love my choice.

First meeting to first unofficial date: 1 year + some
Unofficial date to DTR: 8 months
DTR to engagement: 1 year 8 months
Engagement to Wedding: 4 months
Since marriage: 2 years 10 months to ∞

No comments:

Post a Comment

WH Photos Slideshow